It’s Tuesday morning, June 21, and we’re almost done for this year…
- Today at 11:30 AM SLT, come to the N+K Shipyards exhibit at the Nautical Expo for the official launch of their new Isabela galleon! It takes a whole year to create these amazing works of art and technology, so come celebrate with music and dancing!
- The Expo closes tonight, so you’ve got one more day to look at all the great boats, paints and equipment from the creative nautical community.
Check out these photos and short videos from our first three years:
- The 2020 promotional VIDEO on YouTube!
- Our winning entry to the 60-second 2020 Summer Sailstice Video Challenge
- VIDEOS from Summer Sailstice in Second Life 2021 on YouTube (just some raw stuff; WAY more to come). EASY TO REMEMBER LINK: http://tinyurl.com/SSinSL2021video
- PHOTOS from Summer Sailstice in Second Life 2021 on Flickr EASY TO REMEMBER LINK: https://tinyurl.com/SSinSL2021photo
- Listen to the April 2022 GOOD JIBES PODCAST interview about SL, SL Sailing, and our SS in SL event!
If you know what Second Life sailing is about and are here for information on this year’s event, start at our Summer Sailstice in SL basic information page!
AND if you are starting from Ground Zero on virtual sailing and the 22nd Anniversary of Summer Sailstice in the real world, read on!
- What is Second Life?
Second Life is an online virtual world, developed and owned by the San Francisco-based firm Linden Lab and launched on June 23, 2003. (Wikipedia). Second Life is NOT an online game, in that nearly everything in it–avatars, buildings, objects, movements, sounds, environments–is created by its users (called “residents”), not by the company.
- What is Summer Sailstice?
Summer Sailstice was founded in February 2001 by John Arndt, as the global, annual celebration of sailing held on the weekend nearest the summer solstice. (Summer Sailstice Website) Although very much a real world event, the Covid-19 pandemic kept thousands of sailors off their boats in 2020, leading to a real need for a quality virtual experience. We’ve continued our virtual event for all to enjoy!
- What is sailing like in Second Life?
Second Life sailboats obey the rules of physics; there are standards for behavior in response to winds, waves and currents. The boats (all of which are created by SL residents) range from tiny dinghies to multi-masted galleons. Sailors gather in yacht clubs, at marinas, and on miles of open ocean. (There may be the occasional need to dodge a mermaid.)
Where can I learn a lot more?
We don’t want to reinvent the wheel. There are lots of great resources out there, and an excellent Website that links to a lot of them. Go take a look at https://sailinginsl.wordpress.com/ !