We made some tutorials especially for new people coming into SL and needing a fast track to sailing. These by no means tell you everything you need for a full-featured virtual life, but they should get you into SL and onto the water!
- Tutorial 1: creating your SL account and first avatar, finding a boat, rezzing it inworld, getting aboard, and learning to drive it. 40 slides.
- Tutorial 2: getting a real sailboat (with sails that have to be trimmed properly), navigating. 17 slides.
- Tutorial 3: “getting social” with Groups, Yacht Clubs, Friends; how to get involved in racing and cruising, learning to send and accept Friend and Teleport requests, and signing up for Sailstice in SL!. 21 slides.
- Jake’s SL Racing Videos on YouTube is probably the best instructional video series anywhere. He even explains the physics of how it works in real life.
Other SL Sailing Websites
- Big Sailing in Second Life blog is a bit dated but still has a ton of great information in it.
- The Free Spirit Cup is the “SL ultimate match racing competition.” The third annual competition is just finishing up in SL as I write this in mid-April 2020.
- North Sea Racing posts events and information for sailors who enjoy this area including the North Sea, Eden and the Fruit Islands.
- Nantucket Yacht Club is a new site, still under construction, from one of the original clubs in Second Life.
- Orcaflotta’s Blog covers everything in SL. That link will “pre-search” on the word “sailing.”